Saturday, November 12, 2011

Returning to Pioneer Days

So I have been having a lot of fun on Pinterest lately.  This is a great site where I can save things that I see on-line and also see other things that people are putting on their "boards".  This has given me some really fantastic inspiration.  I very much love the DIY fad that is going on.  there are a lot of resources available on-line that is free and still leaves a lot of room for customization!.  I took on two really great projects in the last two days..  One, a single time project, and one that I hope will blossom into a great future for me!!

One: A basket crocheted from clothesline!!  The inspiring post can be found on a great blog; "Making Chicken Salad".  I am not going to re-right the pattern however......  I found this whole project very challenging.  I would say that although I have only been crocheting just shy of 2 years, I am a pretty advanced with the medium.  I have yet to find a pattern that can really best me!  That being said, I struggled here.  I used cotton clothesline as opposed to the nylon brand as called for on the original pattern.  In creating the bottom, the pattern did not take into account the needed increases to keep the piece flat.  As I fudged through to try to keep it relatively symmetrical I was changed by the stubborn nature of the cotton line.  As I worked through, my hands began to tire quickly.  Alas, I "finished" the basket.  I am unsure of how I will truly finish it however.  I may line the basket or I may try to add a sophisticated bow.  I may try it again, but maybe with a larger hook and better attention to how tight my gauge is.  Following is a really bad picture.  I will try and edit to post a better pic tomorrow!!
 
Two:  Liquid Soap.  Yes I know... Soap has been done!!  Soap can be bought in any store...  I know what you are thinking.. but when I can take a $0.99 bar of soap and a couple of other items and turn into a half gallon of liquid soap, I am all ears!  I will try just about anything to become more economical and save money.  I am also looking for nice Christmas gifts that I can make and give.  Again, Pinterest.com to the rescue!  The tutorial can be found on another amazing site: "The Farmer Family".

        My supplies:
I really enjoyed the ease of the process. I am now totally intrigued in experimenting and learning more about the science of soap making.  Today I went and got some basic supplies and will be continuing to play.  Tomorrow, 12 lucky people will be getting samples of The Starving Llama's very first Oatmeal Almond Liquid soap!  :)

The samples:

No comments: