Monday, October 31, 2011

A shiny sink makes everything better

Tonight was Halloween!
     This was Ben's second but Alex's first. Ben was so much more into it this year. He walked hand in hand with his cousins up to each door and held up his basket. Each time he would come running back to me with a big smile! The glee in his heart reminded me of how simple life is for him. He loves to be surrounded by his cousins, and is happiest when he has a sippy cup full of milk and his monkey by his side. He seemed amazed that with every new door he approached the strangers inside would repeat the same actions. And with a big smile I got to see me little big boy gain an understanding of the magic of the night. Laden down with a heavy basket of goodies we returned home to Nanny's house to crash from exhaustion.

     My little boy, who isn't so little at almost 35 inches tall is growing up so fast and will tomorrow be starting a new chapter in his life. About a month ago, Ben was diagnosed with being severely delayed in both his speech and cognitive abilities. This was a very difficult thing for me to hear. I knew that something wasn't right; he didn't speak, didn't seem to care if other people were around... He was just different. A mother always knows. So Ben was evaluated and found to be very behind... At the 6-9 month level, the same level as his little brother. Tomorrow Ben has his very first appointment with his speech teacher. I have so much anxiety wrapped up around this visit. Will the house be clean enough, will she notice the dirt under Ben's nails, will she determine that Ben is behind solely because of inadequate parenting??? I know that she is coming here to help Ben, not to judge me. But I can't help my mind going there.
     In the end, no matter what this woman thinks of me, I know I am doing the right thing. This can only help him. Plus, as I said at the beginning of this, a shiny sink makes everything better. How can you stay in a bad mood when there is a pretty, shiny surface staring back at you!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you, recognizing and getting help--Its amazing--sometimes its amazing what a small bit of help can do to change a situation.

I hope everything works out for the best--(actually i know it will!) you are a good mother (even with a sink filled with dirty dishes--when that happens)--your love and willingness to take action (and not just let things slide) is just another example of your goodness.

My son was 'behind' on reading..(he didn't learn to read till 3rd grade)--but a little extra help, and soon he was on track--(he was also behind on learning to walk, to talk, to do lots of stuff--but i learned--that was how he was. eventually he caught up--and while he didn't really learn to drive (a car) till in his 30's--being behind can be OK (and just seem quirky!)

The Starving Llama said...

OfTroy,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I know that in the end he will be ok and that he will learn and grow. It is hard not to feel judged by these "Professionals". I was however distraught when I got into the kitchen this morning and saw that what looked like coffee had backed up into my sink from the people downstairs... Oh well... I know that it was shiny when I went to bed last night!!!